The United Methodist Church
a Methodist ministry
The Vermont District,
United Methodist Church
The Pipe Organ at Rupert Methodist Church
Many visitors ask us about
the beautiful pipe organ in our sanctuary. Installed in 1884, it used leather
bellows, hand pumped until the late 1920's, when the hand pumped bellows was replaced by an
electric wind turbine. In 1984, a new blower system was installed.
small door to the right of the organ opens to show the interior, still
much the same as it was when the organ installed.
How well made was
it? Except for the blower, most everything on the organ is original.
Even the original leather stops are still in use!
Look closely at
the back of the door and you will see some names. These are the names of
each person who pumped the original bellows.
Raymond Fisher, who pumped for five years between 1922 and 1927, visited
us not long ago and said he got 25 cents for each service when he pumped
the bellows. He also got 25 cents for cutting the grass!
Here is some more information about the organ....
Model: 1884 Johnson & Son opus 629 (Westfield
2 manual and pedal
Great (lower manual)
8' Unison Bass
2' Super Octave
Swell (upper manual)
8' Stopped Diapason
8' Violin Diapason
4' Harmonic Flute
8' Corno D'amour
Installed new in the church, an electric wind turbine was added in the
later 1920's. Original bellows and feeders were removed and discarded in 1984
and replaced with a supply-house bellows.
The organ is in fine condition and maintained by
Lawrence Nevin of Derry New Hampshire.